Monday, July 19, 2010

Joy in the Journey

Sometimes it takes a traumatic event to make us realize what is important. It’s shouldn’t be that way, but many time is. My cousin lost his father earlier this year to complications from MS. He was able to take care of his father his last year, and restore his dignity. He was fortunate enough to make the first floor of his home into a nursing facility for his father with 24/7 nursing care. But in the end Uncle Jack lost his battle. I remember my cousin (a man of deep faith) saying it bothered him to hear that his father was in a better place – because he liked this place a lot. And if he had his choice, he’d still be here. A few weeks after he lost his father, his mother was diagnosed with brain cancer. So rather than going through the grieving process he had to automatically go into doctor mode taking care of his mother. She lost her battle a few brief months later. This hit my family hard, since it is my mother’s sister, to whom she was very close to. We also lost her to the same disease that we lost my father.

But rather than this being a depressing sad thread I choose to make it a learning thread. I was able to spend time with Aunt Barb in the end, and encourage her. I remember her saying that she believed what I was saying, because I have validation. I have been through the fire, and come out. A little singed, but basically smoke free. She said our time together made her believe she COULD overcome anything and also the importance of faith. Now you might think she did NOT overcome, but you’d be wrong. Once Aunt Barb was a very depressed and angry woman. But not at the end – she never gave up the fight. And she had joy in the journey. When we talked she said she always left if a better mood – because sometimes going through things makes you have a deeper appreciation for life.

How many of us can say that? Maybe we will live to be 100 – but is it with JOY? Aunt Barb and Uncle Jack didn’t make it past their 70’s – but there was JOY in the end. I want that to be my legacy. And it will be, because I choose to make it so. And I’m a firm believer that joy is a decision as much as anything.

So I will do whatever I can to make this a better life; both for ME and those around me by working hard, playing hard, and loving hard. And always remember to have joy in the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment